Dad's Twice-Baked Potato Casserole
Author: My dad
- About 5 pounds russet potatoes (2-3), peeled and quartered
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2½ cups cheddar cheese (2 cups for mixing in and ½ cup for sprinkling on top)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ½ cup bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (applewood smoked bacon would be even better)
- 2½ teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray or coat with some good ol' butter.
- Cook potatoes. Boil them and cover for 20-25 minutes, until tender.
- Drain the water, and return the potatoes back to the pot you cooked them in.
- Add 6 tablespoons of butter to the potatoes and mash them until smooth.
- Mix in 2 cups of cheddar cheese, 1 cup milk, 1 cup sour cream, and 2 eggs.
- Add green onions, crispy bacon crumbles. (BUT make sure to reserve a few tablespoons of each for topping).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese and a couple tablespoons of bacon (or however much your heart desires)
- Bake for 40 minutes, uncovered. Done when the top is lightly golden and beautiful!!
- Sprinkle with the remaining few tablespoons of chopped green onion.
- ENJOY!! I betcha won't be able to resist going for seconds.